Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Is there any way to add color to etching cream?

I'm just wondering if it is possible and, if so, what do I use to color the etching cream? Also, what etching cream brand is best? Please help!Is there any way to add color to etching cream?
No, you can't add color. Etching cream removes the top, finished surface of the glass, and leaves a lightly textured finish. It doesn't change the color of the glass at all. If you start with a clear glass, you'll end up with a white patch, if you start with a blue glass, you'll end up with a light blue patch, etc. Depending on what you want to use the glass for afterward, you could paint the reverse side, and then etch, and you'd see the color behind. I want to say I've seen Christmas ornaments that did that. I don't have brand suggestions for you...I always just use whatever brand Michael's or Hobby Lobby has, and it works fine. Just make sure to follow the instructions, and wear gloves!

No comments:

Post a Comment